Finally, it all works!

I got around to replacing the old RG-58 (foam core) coax on my radio with the new Times Microwave LMR-300 RG-8U 20′ roll I bought off of Amazon.  To my surprise, as I pulled out the connector out of my antenna, the center conductor was broken off inside!  I could wiggle it around like a child losing a tooth.  I hooked everything back up and much to my relief, I am able to get 80 meters matched.  I am still going to add on another 20′ of wire to my antenna though just to be on the safe side.  Unfortunately, that’s about all of the wire I can add because of the short distance from my shack to the tree I’m using for support at about 120′ feet apart.

I am still considering getting the base for my Mosley vertical.  I’d like to get it up in the air but there’s no ideal mounting point for it right now.  I’m thinking about seeing if I can place the antenna near one of the garden fence’s corner posts (4’x’8 wooden posts) since that would protect the antenna and let me put out radials in a “fan” shape, probably at least four 50′ radials at the minimum but I’d be burying the radials.  For that, I’d rent a Ditch Witch.

There’s also been some odd local QRM: I hear what sounds like a “hi-lo” siren on all frequencies lately.  I don’t know if it’s something in my shack or not.  Sometime soon I am going to unplug everything except for the radio and its power supply to see if it’s within the shed itself.  I do have high-tension lines within probably 1000′ of the house but the previous owner, who was a ham also, said he never had any problem with it.

Something else is putting a hard 60 Hz hum over the air too so I have a lot of RFI issues I need to figure out.  Slowly but surely I’m working on it all!  Just wish propagation was better.  Being at the bottom of the sunspot cycle is not fun.

Sean

About Sean

I’m Sean KD5COL. I’m an active amateur radio operator and hold my General class license. I enjoy many aspects of amateur radio but my favorite aspects are chasing DX, working special event stations, and building my own wire antennas.

This entry was posted in Shack Work. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *